Woke up wanting to go back to bed and snuggle with my pug, fortunately my kids school was off and my husband was out for an early game of golf, which allowed me to enjoy a lazy morning with a chick flick. the only thing that seemed missing was something I call my ‘guilty pleasure’ every chocolate lovers dream – Classic Brownies. Easy and quick yet delicious and tempting. These brownies can make any morning choco-licious and my breakfast perfect (yes, I love desert for breakfast!)
Gooey, intensely chocolaty dry on top and melt-in-mouth middle, they do justice to their title making them perfect for any occasion. I enjoyed them with one of my favourite movies Notting Hill.
360g bitter sweet chocolate
6 large eggs
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cups unsalted butter
1/2tsp instant espresso powder
2tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree centigrade, line your brownie pan the sides as well as the base with foil.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a large heat proof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stir occasionally you don’t want them to get so hot that the butter separates or the chocolate burns.
- When chocolate mixture is completely smooth remove the bowl from the pan of hot water and let it cool a bit.
- Whisk the eggs with the vanilla and sugar in a bowl and gradually add it to the cool chocolate mixture. Give the ingredients a vigorous whisking before you stir in the espresso powder, salt and flour beat to combine smoothly folding in the walnuts.
- Scrape the batter into the lined pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes. When the brownies are done, the top is dull and dried to a pale brown but the middle still dense and gooey. Don’t over bake otherwise the brownies will be dry.
- When the brownies are completely cool turn out on the wire rack peel away the foil cut and serve as you please.